[aprssig] more ocean buoy stuff

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jan 10 09:02:16 EST 2007

> Bob, do your Academy buoys have drogues attached?

We arent sure.  We know they are required for true current
measurements, but for our initial test in the chesapeake bay, we
may go without, so that we don't get fouled by all the shallow
water and junk down there.

> Also, I'm curious what speeds you normally see from your
buoys.

Although we have material for 8 buoys, none are in the water
yet.

> And if you derive direction from the position reports or is
> It reported from GPS, as most GPS can't calculate heading
under
> 2kts of speed.

The GPS and APRS format includes the GPS's estimate of CSE/SPD,
but as you say, that could be quite useless.  But for our
chesapeake bay stuff, we will get enough hits to have a pretty
good track for calculating it from position.

Thanks for your comments.  As we get into this we may want to
compare notes.
Bob,Wb4APR

sorts