[aprssig] Quad antenna construction techniques

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Jan 10 00:28:28 EST 2007

ac7yy at aikenco.net wrote:
> Do you have foil backed insulation in your attic walls and joists?  and if
> so, does that not effect the antenna?
>
> Kim - AC7YY

This is a 70-year-old cottage with absolutely no insulation anywhere in
either it's walls or attic.    As you can see in the photo, the rafters
are completely bare.   The only potential pattern distortion may come
from the antique single-conductor knob-and-tube electric wiring strung
through the ceiling joists.     Conveniently the antenna fires out the
end of the pitched roof, so that even when the roof is soaked with the
rare (for southern California) rain, signal levels don't vary much.
Actually, quad antennas are low-Q devices much less affected (and
detuned) by nearby junk than yagis.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   TNC Test CD