[aprssig] Quad antenna construction techniques

n6lrv at cox.net n6lrv at cox.net
Tue Jan 9 10:17:06 EST 2007

Andrew,
I have built many VHF cubical quads using some of the materials you mention here. Specifically, I've used fiberglass tubing (1") as my boom and solid fiberglass rod (1/4") as my spreaders. We carefully drilled the boom for the spreaders and simply pushed them through. They should be a snug fit and the elements will help to keep them in place. To secure the elements to the spreaders we used arrow nocks however, most modern arrow nocks are tapered inside but you can find sources on the internet for 'straight shaft' arrow nocks as well, that's what we used. My elements were made from 14, 16, or 18 gauge buss wire (tinned solid copper wire) and the driven element is fed by a piece of RG58/U coax. This coax also serves as the balun by wrapping 5 turns around the boom and taping over the turns to keep them there. Typically this piece of coax would terminate at an inline connector a few feet down the mast. The finished product works real well especially for transmitter hunting.
73,
Gary