[aprssig] APRS for a "ocean buoy"

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jan 9 09:48:11 EST 2007

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, M J wrote:

> If this is about sending oceanographic conditions, I am wondering
> about the equipment used to monitor and how it is embedding the
> data in the transmission.  I found the APRS protocol online but I
> don't see anything in the protocol that would allow for much
> beyond sending basic weather information.
>
> I can imagine that APRS ought to be able to convey a lot of data
> such as solar radiation, river flow, water height, atmospheric
> opacity but I'm having trouble finding a way that such information
> can be embedded and parsed in a standard way.

We embed data from ocean buoys into packets on Firenet in a somewhat
standard way.  At least it's the only standard I currently know of
for doing so with APRS packets.

Try connecting up to firenet.us port 2023 and you'll see them.  Port
14580 is the filtered port so you can reduce the feed a bit to suit
your needs.  We inject a _lot_ of objects on firenet.  A typical
dial-up line probably won't be able to handle the full feed.