[aprssig] Quad antenna construction techniques

Shanon Herron ka8spw at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 9 07:28:04 EST 2007

I Rich,

    I usually slide a snug fitting hardwood dowel rod into the PVC to stiffen it up.

  Good luck, Shanon KA8SPW

Andrew Rich <vk4tec at tech-software.net> wrote:
      Gudday

  Building a quad for vhf for aprs.

  I have tried metal boom (hopeless) plastic (ok) and wood (good)

  I am open to suggestions on how to hold the vhf quad elements in place.

  I have used dowel spreaders with notches cut into them before.

  How about arrows ? they seem to have plastic bit at the end - a "bow nock"

  I would like to try some more rigid wire this time, last time i used some failry flimsy stuff.

  Got any tips for building 145 MHz quads ?

  Cheers
Andrew Rich
Amateur radio callsign VK4TEC
email: vk4tec at tech-software.net