[aprssig] dos on a winxp machine

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Jan 9 00:53:18 EST 2007

cap at cruzio.com wrote:
> I can still run APRSdos from within WindowsXPpro just fine.  (Granted, my
> hard-drive's file system is still FAT32 instead of NTFS.)
> 73, Cap KE6AFE

As long as Windows is running, the disk file system isn't an issue.  The
trouble comes if you want to bypass Windows (of whatever flavor) and
boot directly to "real" DOS from a floppy, CD-ROM or perhaps a USB flash
drive.    Then NTFS volumes will become inaccessible.

And most USB-based hardware (such as USB-to-serial converters), will
disappear.  [DOS never heard of USB, although SOME recent motherboard
BIOSes can now make some USB devices look like their earlier IDE or PS/2
predecessors.]   Most BIOSes from the last two years or so support USB
mice and keyboards from DOS (they make them "look like" classic PS/2
devices).  A very few very recent motherboards will recognize external
USB-connected hard disks and floppies.

Further most modern "brain dead" printers, modems and soundcards
dependent on huge Windows-based drivers that emulate non-existent
hardware won't work at all from stand-alone DOS.

Win 95 and 98 had actual DOS underneath (The "DOS 7.1" that can actually
be used to format a bootable floppy or hard disk.)  Unlike the last
"official" standalone DOS (Ver 6.22),   "DOS 7.1" will work with today's
huge hard disks because it supports FAT32.     [ The classic DOS 6.22
supported only FAT16 and maxed out at 2GB per partition unless you used
some sort of 3rd-party add-on disk manager.  ]

By contrast, 32-bit Windows (WinNT, Win2K and WinXP) only have a DOS
emulator that produces a black window to type command lines.  There is
no standalone DOS present that can be used to format a bootable floppy.
Ever notice the subtle naming difference between the "DOS Prompt"
offered in the Win95/98 "Accessories"  group, and the equivalent
"Command Prompt" offered by Win2k and Xp?   It's because there is no
real DOS there.   Although it actually does a pretty good job of
emulating DOS within Windows.

By the way, the native Win2K/XP equivalent of .BAT batch files is .CMD .

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   TNC Test CD
  http://wa8lmf.net/TNCtest