[aprssig] RE: dos on a winxp machine

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue Jan 9 00:48:52 EST 2007

> regarding Windows (XP) and DOS.   XP has full DOS support and
> in fact works
> better than Win95, Win98, Win2K, or WinME ever did with DOS
> programs in my
> experience.

It still can't emulate all of the direct hardware access - particularly when
it comes to graphics.  I have plenty of old games around that I can't play
on my XP-based machines (X-COM, for example) because of the low-level way in
which they deal with the video card.  Business apps are more likely to work,
but games have traditionally used every dirty trick in the book to squeeze a
little more performance out of the hardware, and that's where support breaks
down.

Scott
N1VG