[aprssig] dos on a winxp machine

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Jan 8 23:47:08 EST 2007

flknbry at netzero.net wrote:
> How does on get into dos on a machine running xp.Not just the dos
> prompt through programs.I wish to run dosaprs.Also i would like to
> change the home map to mine.when i hit the home key.
>                      Quentin

Unless you have multiple disk partitions on the machine, you won't since
the default configuration for XP is to use the NTFS disk file system
rather than the classic FAT disk system.  Even if you boot DOS from a
floppy or a CD-ROM (which I do frequently), the hard disk will be
invisible since DOS doesn't understand NTFS.

NTFS-formatted disks are only readable by WinNT, Win2K (which is really
WinNT 5.0), WinXP (which is really WinNT 5.1) and the forthcoming Vista
(which is really WinNT 6.0).     These disks are unreadable to DOS and
Win3.x through WinME.

You could create a separate FAT-formatted partition on the hard disk
that would be visible to DOS.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   TNC Test CD