[aprssig] I Apologize!

Brian Webster bwebster at wirelessmapping.com
Mon Jan 8 16:00:47 EST 2007

The problem with the data they produce is that it is funded by the taxpayers
dollars. This means the taxpayers own the copyright. So the data should be
free. The mapping data the US government produces is created in this way.
That is how we get free mapping like the TIGER lines. The American public
owns the copyright they should not be charged for the data if the project
was funded with public dollars. If it is corporate or individual tax dollars
makes no difference, the taxes were collected in the same way by our
government that we elected and that we as a country agreed to by our
constitution, the government is not a private entity and therefore can not
hold the rights to the data. Do not be fooled in to thinking that they can
sell the data to create revenue, the data and operations which create it
were funded with public dollars. Many may argue differently but think about
this in the most simple sense and it seems very clear. Taxpayer funded
equals taxpayer access for free, anything else is being taxed twice. If they
don't like this then they can make it a for fee based system completely of
which nobody will like because then the fees would be very high due to the
reality of the cost of doing business. For private business to think the
government should not release the data to the public without charging a fee
is just as absurd, why should they have exclusive rights to something they
did not pay for. A government by the people for the people last time I
read.... Off soapbox now, this thread is way off topic.........

Thank You,
Brian N2KGC