[aprssig] Help with Interfacing a GPS to Kantronics KPC-3

EXT-Maetta, John john.maetta at boeing.com
Wed Jan 3 17:24:32 EST 2007

>From what I understand from the KPC manual is that the LTRACK sets the

4 GPSLK VIA WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2
LTRACK   1 LT1 LT2

John
-----Original Message-----
From: Earl Needham [mailto:needhame1 at plateautel.net]
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 2:18 PM
To: TAPR APRS Mailing List
Subject: RE: [aprssig] Help with Interfacing a GPS to Kantronics KPC-3

At 03:06 PM 1/3/2007, EXT-Maetta, John wrote:
><snip>
>md:beacon e 1
>BEACON was EVERY 0 (disabled)
>cmd:N6VMO>BEACON: <UI>:
>n6vmo
>
>N6VMO>BEACON: <UI>:
>N6vmo
>
>The LED illuminates every minute to Tx the beacon.

         OK, that's a good start.

At 03:01 PM 1/3/2007, EXT-Maetta, John wrote:
><snip>
>GPSHEAD
>1 $GPGGA
>2 $GPRMC
>
>LTP
>1 GPS VIA DIGI
>2 GPS VIA DIGI
>3 GPS
>4 GPS
>
>BLT
>1 EVERY 00:00:10
>2 EVERY 00:00:20
>3 EVERY 00:00:00
>4 EVERY 00:00:00
>
>LTRACK   1 LT1 LT2

         Going from memory, I think the GPSHEAD and LTP commands are the
only ones that make GPS operation work.  IIRC, the four BLT's are just
like the original BEACON, and I don't know what LTRACK does at all.

         Put the TNC in GPS mode and connect the GPS.  Let it sit there
for maybe 10 or 15 minutes.  Next, disconnect the GPS and connect the
TNC to your laptop and do a DISP G.  That should get a list of the GPS
commands -- when you do that, copy them to us here.  That's probably the
best way to get this going.

         7 3
         Earl

KD5XB