[aprssig] Help with Interfacing a GPS to Kantronics KPC-3

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Wed Jan 3 16:30:55 EST 2007

At 02:23 PM 1/3/2007, EXT-Maetta, John wrote:
>I have connected the TNC the laptop and sent the captured GPS strings to
>the TNC.  Still no Xmit from the TNC.  I use the same cable to configure
>the TNC so I know data is getting to and from the TNC.
>
>I am using Hyperterminal to setup the TNC and to also transmit the GPS
>text file to the TNC. The KPC-3 does not seem to parse or recognize the
>$GPGGA or $GPRMC string headers, ethier from the GPS or the laptop.
>
>I have tried using a null modem solution from the GPS to the TNC, but no
>luck.  Data does leave the GPS and I connect the GPS to the TNC via pin
>2(Tx in) and 7 (Gnd).
>
>My KPC-3 is version KPC3P-E6ED7265-8.2. Is my F/W capable of performing
>this GPS parse?

         I think it is, and one good thing about the APRSSIG is that
if somebody makes an error there are any number of friendly people
anxious to correct it, hi hi!

         Seriously, at this point, I think I'd connect the TNC to the
laptop, take the TNC out of GPS mode, and see if I could manually
command it to transmit.

         7 3
         Earl

KD5XB