[aprssig] RE: PC Card, barcodes, etc.

Ray McKnight shortsheep at worldnet.att.net
Wed Feb 28 04:10:22 EST 2007

Maybe so.

But for us, Hams, is this important?

Do most Hams run out and buy a new $2000 laptop just to play APRS?

No.

Do most Hams, tens of thousands, have laptops 3-5 yrs old?

Probably.

So do most Ham laptops have the ability to utilize a PC-Card device.

Yes.

I haven't been paying attention to the laptops sold in the last 6 months.

I honestly don't know what an Express Card is.

I don't have a laptop with one, so I don't need to care what it is, yet.

To me, it means replacing all the existing PC card hardware I have, in

Favor for shortsighted marketing of gadgets and whizmo's I don't need.

I still have computers that have ISA and EISA slots.

I still use serial ports regularly. Even tho there are still NEW laptops
sold with serial,

We continue to have folks lamenting the demise of the RS-232 port, let's
throw all our

Serial devices away.  I'll go pry the DCD and DTE ports off my H-89 CP/M
machine now.

I'll continue to as long as they do what I need them to and the peripherals
work.

There will never be an Express Card device produced for the Amateur market,
IMHO.

So why do I care as long as my current cards still work and do all I need
them to.

Why do MOST Ham peripherals still have serial connectivity?
Because that's what most Hams' computers have, and PCMCIA too.

I don't live my life based on the marketing strategy of some corporate bean
counter.