[aprssig] barcodes, etc.

Ray McKnight shortsheep at worldnet.att.net
Tue Feb 27 23:55:56 EST 2007

Well, I don't think getting these barcode scanners up and running on DOSAPRS
would be all too difficult, except maybe for the "me" generation appliance
op that never has configured DOS.

But here's another novel idea I've never heard suggested before.

The barcode scanners have a PCMCIA slot, as do a LOT of similar

Devices, as well as almost all fairly modern laptops.  If we had a

PC-Card based TNC it would be trivial to turn almost any of these

Devices into a full fledged APRS client.  All you'd need would be an

HT or other external radio, easily interfaced by a simple dongle.

Anyone out there considered a Type-II PC Card TNC?

There used to be a 1 and 4-port ISA TNC card, but it never really

Caught on because it was introduced just about the time PCI showed up.

Scott - any interest in packaging a TinkTrak into PC Card form factor?