[aprssig] Re: Remote HF SkyCommand on the air

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Feb 25 08:08:34 EST 2007

> One feature that (to me at least) was always an issue was
> how to remotely select HF antennas,  and how to trigger
> the tune cycle of automatic antenna tuners.  ...
> How are you going to tune/match the slopers:
>      SGC "just dump RF into them..."autotuners?

Bingo!  I finally got funding and have an AGC on order.

Antenna selection will be via DTMF selection.  We used to have
an ATV camera on top of the water tower right outside the gate
here and it was fun to operate from mobiles with DTMF, since you
could look at boats on the river, or traffic at the gate, or
even look at the Football statium.  But then I discovered APRS
and have not gotten back to ATV in 15 years.

An when they painted the water tower, the contractors chucked my
entire ATV system over the side (everything was up there, the
RX, TX, CONtrol system, everything to keep cables short).  I
have the damaged goods, but any effort to put it all back would
require a zero start.  That was the basis for APRS, Automatic
Picture Relay Network... But then that is another story...

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprn.html

Thanks for the feedback!
Bob
WB4APR

> And select one of the three (or antennas for other bands):
>       Single contact outputs on a KPC3 with packets sent
> separately from SkyCommand?
>       An external decoder responding to DTMF from the mobile
mic?

I thought about the KPC-3, except that the mobile, once he is in
skycommand mode, cannot send any packets of his own, so it will
have to be DTMF since the Mic still works.  I'm coming up with
ideas for SKYCOMMAND III so that we have more controls and have
the changeable PL so that operators can chat and coordinate on
UHF without keying the HF rig if they need to..

Bob

http://wa8lmf.net