[aprssig] Welcoming Travelers

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Feb 20 09:56:15 EST 2007

> Has anyone ever used APRS to identify a visitor to your
> local area, generate an automatic msg... welcoming them...
> and refer them to your primary  voice repeater?

This welcoming of travelers by providing them with a local
travelers VOICE repeater object on the front panel of their
radio is the objective behind the LOCAL INFO INITIATIVE:

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/localinfo.html

I agree that it is a very powerful and useful function of APRS!
We need digipeater owners to implement it in all digipeaters
everywhere.  It is a no-cost addition, since it is originated at
the DIGIpeaters that can listen-before-TX and so avoid any
collision with other packets.  But these packets MUST BE KEPT
LOCAL and DIRECT ONLY!!!  They only have local DIRECT value and
are SPAM everywhere else.

Bob, WB4APR

Ronan
> Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 5:11 AM
> To: TAPR APRS Mailing List
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] Battery Packs...and more...
>
> > Has anyone ever used APRS to identify a visitor to your
> local area,
> > generate an automatic msg to the APRS unit welcoming them to
your
> > area (entering a preset parimeter) and refer them to your
primary
> > voice repeater?  We have also thought of then, after a
reasonable
> > delay for the operator to tune to the repeater, running text
> > speech to welcome the visitor to the area and state some of
the
> > control commands (WX, Echo & IRLP dialing codes, etc.) for
the
> > repeater, our website (lcarc.ca) and other useful bits of
info.
> Nope,
>
> But we do have a Digi_ned node running that announces all the

> repeaters about every 20 mins or so, it can also be requested
for
> other information such as Police Station, Hospital etc.
>
> More than once I received an email from a 'Tourist' after they
got
> home saying how useful they found it.  Now you have me
thinking that

http://www.tssg.org