[aprssig] Batteries America BT-11H

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Sun Feb 18 22:56:16 EST 2007

Dale Blanchard wrote:
> A regular battery pack is better.
> The spring contacts have a small amount of voltage drop thet adds up.]
> You have 12 contacts.
> There is a reason they spot weld the batteries to gether in a commercial
> pack.
> Battery corrosion makes it worse.

Using alkaline or NiMH or NiCD cells, over the counter, in this kind of pack
provides a great deal of flexability and eliminates a number of "I don't have
power" issues.  It can cause you to stop treating "charging" as an important
part of your equipment management regiment though.

I have 24 NiMH AA cells that I use in a dry cell pack for one of my HTs that has
an 8AA cell pack.  It makes it really easy to switch cells when needed, recharge
cells and replace single bad cells.  The price, per "pack" is much less when you
don't have to also pay for the packaging that's on convential rechargable packs.

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW