[aprssig] New Icom Mobile

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Tue Feb 13 10:11:12 EST 2007

Mark Fellhauer wrote:

> I haven't seen anybody post to the list about this yet.
>
> Icom has announced a new mobile rig, the IC-2820H.
>
> http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/fm_txvrs/2820.html
>
> -2m/70cm true dual band operation, separate displays and controls V/U
> V/V U/U
>
> -Alphanumeric naming of channels (Why have manufacturers left this
> feature out for so long in dual band mobiles?  Not seen since the
> FT-8500...)

The Yaesu FT-8800R has all of the above.  It is exactly two radios with
completely separate memory banks.  It does 800mhz and 900mhz too.  No trunking,
but I do have the local trunked radio system in a memory bank with all other
local community support freqs and a hyper memory lets me switch everything over
to that, and activates just a handful of local HAM repeaters on one side which
we use for ARES activities.

> -Optional UT-123 module gives D-Star capability with built-in GPS
> receiver for D-PRS

This is a module which would be nice for Icom to sell, at cost to other
manufacturers to promote the growth of digital capabilities.  We'll have a lot
more repeater and simplex freqs if we get 2M switched over to digital.

> -Two antenna diversity reception capability

That's a necessary need for digital operations on the boarder of range and in
multipath situations.

> Too bad it doesn't have any built-in APRS capability.
>
> Yaesu?  Kenwood?  Where are you?

The FT-8800R has provided most of these non-D-Star features.  It's a great radio.

Gregg Wonderly