[aprssig] Voice Aert redux

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sun Feb 11 17:11:16 EST 2007

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007, Wes Johnston, AI4PX wrote:

> The problem with that is that it takes less signal to make a PL tone decoder
> trigger than to decode a packet.  In other words, I can hear you on voice
> alert alot more times that I can decode ax.25 packets.  In theory what you
> suggest would work just as well, but in practice the PL tone wins hands
> down.

I understand the simplicity of the circuit bit, but then the PL tone
doesn't have any "smarts" w.r.t. whether the signal is a base
station and/or moving, etc.  With the TT4 or T2 solution (with a
piezo) you could selectively ignore some of those local stations
that don't play by the rules, plus use it with radios that don't
have PL-out or PL-decode.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer