[aprssig] Voice Aert redux

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sun Feb 11 14:35:05 EST 2007

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> That's the joy of APRS Voice Alert.  If someone is there and
> within 2 or 3 miles of you, you cannot miss the opportunity for
> a live simplex QSO.

> Like we say, it only takes a few un-informed individuals running
> it from base stations or 24/7 parked cars to wipe out Voice
> Alert in an area.

This thread makes me wonder if something simple couldn't be done
for non-Kenwood APRS stations:  Perhaps a piezeo buzzer that could
be enabled/disabled in the firmware or with a switch on a Tinytrak4
or Tracker2.  The software could determine if they were within range
and whether they were mobile.  You know, some nice configurable
options.

When I heard the buzzer I could swing my other 2-meter radio there
quickly and give a yell.

No PL required, but we'd need a flag in the comment field to let
others know we were monitoring.  This could be added automatically
by the firmware for our transmits if the piezo was enabled.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer