[aprssig] APRS Icons on Garmin Receivers

jdw at eng.uah.edu jdw at eng.uah.edu
Sun Feb 11 07:33:42 EST 2007

I started thinking about how to set this up with my T2, and unless there's
a way to make the garmin TX NMEA and RX garmin binary, this probably won't
work (it could if you've got an extra serial port on your GPS, or have an
extra GPS).  Unless the T2 will translate Garmin binary into NMEA and I've
forgotten?

I may still set it up just for grins, with the old Trimble GPS engine
feeding NMEA to the D700 and use the Garmin MAP60C with the T2 for pretty
icons on the maps.

On the D700 mini-DIN connector:  it sure seems to me that letting it
follow the PTT setting on the control head was a boneheaded decision. It
makes it useless for anything I've ever wanted to do with it.  I would
_love_ to have access to the TNC via rs232, or to that side of the radio
via the mini-DIN, and still use the D700's APRS application.

-Jason
kg4wsv