[aprssig] APRS Icons on Garmin Receivers

Joel Maslak jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Sat Feb 10 23:54:12 EST 2007

On Feb 10, 2007, at 9:49 PM, Scott Miller wrote:

> Will the D700 output raw packet data to the serial port in APRS
> mode?  If
> so, I could do a stripped-down version of the T2 firmware that'd
> handle the
> decoding and Garmin output.

I don't know about that, but I do know the D700 has two speaker
output jacks - so you could set one side of the radio for APRS and
set the radio to use separate jacks for the separate sides of the
radio.  You would lose voice alert, but I don't think that would
matter (has *anyone* ever made a random voice alert contact?  It
seems to be far easier to work rare DX than to talk to another APRS
user).