[aprssig] RE: European Digipeating standards

Cap Pennell cap at cruzio.com
Sat Feb 10 13:57:45 EST 2007

See below.

Jan, yes certainly, the network topology is different in "flatland" and/or
"sparse" regions (like much of the Central US and Texas too).  But there
too, the main objective a VHF station seeks to accomplish is accessing the
_first_ digi in a path, rather than needing a much _broader_ path.

In the US, where as you know we freely travel between our States, as you do
between European Union states, the newer "traceable WIDEn-N" system has been
implemented through common understanding of it's benefits as a more
efficient system allowing greater capacity on VHF and hence more potential
courtesy to more fellow ham operators as the future unfolds.  Our prior
beliefs in older less efficient systems involving RELAY have evolved forward
for the common good.  It hasn't been done by edict or enforcement, but
rather by cooperation and education and experience, and is still occurring
one station at a time.  Anybody and everybody can help.

Working toward a effective and efficient "universal" path system for VHF
travelers too?  Think "traceable WIDEn-N" (and surely not RELAY anything).
Our modern fill-in digis (WIDE1-1 only) retain the advantages old RELAY
digis once had for travelers, but eliminate the inefficiencies of that old
system.

Of course, there often _is_ political resistance to cooperation between
"empires" of all sorts due to inexperience with the advantages of
interoperability, but truly we are all in this together.

There needn't be a configuration problem to fly your tracker across the
ocean and have it work on the other side too.  If we're to share a system,
let's share the more efficient and courteous modern one.
73, Cap KE6AFE