[aprssig] Need GPS for D700

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Fri Feb 9 05:25:11 EST 2007

Hi Chris..

Any GPS that can spit out NMEA data over RS232 serial, will work with
the D700, D7, Ui-View, Xastir etc...

Anything that only has a USB interface, will never work on it's own,
you'll need another PC to interface between RS232 and USB, as it needs
to work as a USB "Host" not as the common USB<>RS232 adapters do, as
they are "Devices".

No one yet (to my knowledge at least) makes one that works, by hosting a
"modern" USB device, and then spitting out "Legacy" RS232 data.

USB only GPS's can be made to work with Ui-View/Xastir etc, but only if
they come with, or will work with other software that creates a virtual
serial port for the users program to use.

Again, any RS232 capable GPS that output's true NMEA data will work with
a radio on it's own.  The basic yellow eTrex for example, works well, I
have one.  But don't buy the expensive Garmin power/data cable, look up
any of the third party suppliers..

  http://www.pfranc.com/cables/index.shtml  for example.

73.

Dave G0WBX.