[aprssig] APRS Icons on Garmin Receivers

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Thu Feb 8 17:40:46 EST 2007

On Feb 8, 2007, at 4:09 PM, Wes Johnston, AI4PX wrote:

> While it's a neat idea..... packet audio is muted for use with
> voice alert.

I'll have to admit I've never bothered with voice alert.

> You know, sometimes when I plug my d700 in, it comes on, and other
> times it does not...

Mine is consistent: it never does.

I put together a little microcontroller circuit that sends the magic
string for powering on to the D700 serial port.  I also use the APO2
to manage power to the D700 and GPS.

My list of things to do includes building a new circuit that watches
vehicle power and turns the D700 off and on as appropriate.  I may
not get to that one for a while, since what I have now works. (:

-Jason
kg4wsv