[aprssig] European Digipeating standards

Jan T. Pharo la2bba at jpharo.net
Tue Feb 6 14:55:15 EST 2007

Kai Gunter Brandt <kai.brandt at hjemme.no>, Tue, 06 Feb 2007 20:31:02
+0100:

>If every country is going for one standard then it should not be a
>problem(localy), but visitors have to change their setup.

As I have asked before: _Who_ in a country or a region will decide
that the country/region is going for a standard?
IMHO, (as long as the authorities (in US: FCC) say that the amateurs
should make their standards), the amateur radio associations. But even
then, the individuals owning their stations are entitled to do as they
like, as long as they are inside legal limits (like bandwidth,
identifier)

(As a side remark:
In Norway, there has AFAIK been _one_ (1) authority statement
regarding amateur radio during the last months, and that statement was
to APRS, saying (the obvious fact) that foreign amateurs must use the
guest country indicator before their callsign, regardless of APRS
standards. Now, the APRS standards don't allow e.g. LA/WB4APR in the
MYCALL field, but you can put it in the Status Text field, and comply
with the legal requirements.)

--
73 de Jan, LA2BBA
Hvaler, Norway