[aprssig] Laptops with true Serial Port

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Tue Feb 6 12:42:26 EST 2007

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> We need to purchase NEW laptops but have to have a serial port.

I was going to suggest the Dell Inspiron 600M but it doesn't look like they
list them any more. When I got mine, part of the decision making was based
on it having a real serial port. I see some of their current offerings
include up to 6 USB ports, but no RS-232 ports. I did pick up a used
Edgeport adapter recently that adds 8 serial ports, but it's "extra
hardware" to drag along. I also have a couple of USB to serial adapters that
have worked for everything I have used them for including programming TT3s,
OTs, talking to TNCs and so on.

I checked out Dell's site. They don't list serial ports for any of the
Inspiron series, but several of their Latitude models still list a serial
port.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH