[aprssig] Front Panel Object Displays (NETS)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Feb 1 18:47:07 EST 2007

> I'm playing with this...[object for a local net]...
> What symbol... do you recommend...

The "EYEBALL" symbol was designed for this kind of eye-catching
special purpose.  It is supposed to be a large attention getting
SYMBOL to indicate something that was worthy of immediate
attention.  A real EYE catcher.  In the original APRS, this
symbol was about 4 times larger than all other symbols to make
sure it was easy to spot.

For follow-on APRS systems that use fixed sized ICONs instead of
symbols, I'm not sure how well it stands out.  Maybe we need a
better symbol more appropriate for NETS.  In that case, I think
I would suggest the NTS symbol (even if it is not an NTS net).
It is a "/N" symbol.

Thanks.  I'll add that to my notes.
Bob
WB4APR
> --
> William McKeehan
>
> On Wed, January 31, 2007 3:05 pm, Robert Bruninga wrote:
> > Not only do I expect to see the long-haul travelers best
> > repeater frequency on my APRS radio display, I also expect
> > see NETS and MEETINGS in progress in case I have a few
moments
> > and want to drop in.  I also expect to see HAMfests and
other
> > events.  Here are some examples.
> >
> > +-------------+ +-------------+ +-------------+
> > | NET-NOW     | | CLUB-MTG    | | HAMFEST     |
> > |  7PM TU 5th | |  8 PM Thur  | |  Sat 23 Jun |
> > |  147.105+   | |  27 Jan 07  | |  FARFEST    |
> > +-------------+ +-------------+ +-------------+
> >
> > Not only do these -temporary- objects show you that
something is
> > happening right now, but also the radio displays the
direction
> > and distance to the object as shown below:
> >
> > +-------------+ +-------------+ +-------------+
> > | NET-NOW     | | CLUB-MTG    | | HAMFEST  ^  |
> > |   FM19sx    | |   EM27FG    | |   EN23PD |  |
> > |   11.3mi ==>| |   1.4mi <== | |   32.6mi |  |
> > +-------------+ +-------------+ +-------------+
> >
> > Such objects should include the date, so that the mobile can
> > easily tell if these are old objects that someone
> > inappropriately left on the air.  Any APRS client can be
used to
> > enter these objects, including the D7 and D700!
> >
> > It is trivial to send these objects from the D7 or D700
radio
> > too. The first person with a D7 or D700 that arrives at the
> > meeting, can simply bring up his front panel APRS menu, and
> > change his MYCALL to either "NET" or "MEETNG" or whatever.
Then