[aprssig] IGATEs doing odd things

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Sat Dec 29 18:02:39 EST 2007

         From time to time, we've tried to figure out why certain
IGATEs seem to delay packets, and I'm not sure we ever found out for
sure which ones were at fault.

         I think I've found one that is misconfigured in some manner.

         I've been doing round trips from Clovis, NM to Shreveport,
La this week, and I'm on the third one.  I've noticed that when I get
close to Seymour, Texas, and from there all the way over to
Gainesville, Texas, my laptop will send a position packet, and some
seconds later a packet will arrive placing my icon anywhere form 5 to
20 miles BEHIND me -- the old delay problem.

         Today I stopped my truck and just watched for a few
minutes.  The problem seems to be coming from the N5LEZ IGATE.  My
laptop sends a position on RF, and then a little later, a packet
arrives via the internet (yes I have mobile internet
service...).  The problem being that the packet from the internet has
been delayed for quite some time and is now showing up from N5LEZ.

         As I said, this has been going on for several days at
least.  I'm not quite sure how to handle it, but if anyone is still
trying to run down this error/misconfiguration, here is a good
opportunity to do so, and it might help the entire APRS community.

         7 3 & HNY
         Earl

KD5XB -- Earl Needham
Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk