[aprssig] HF options

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Dec 19 13:15:53 EST 2007

Scott Miller wrote:
> I've had an inquiry about a project that would involve linking fixed
> APRS stations at intervals of maybe 50 km, with not much chance of
> digipeaters.  Without favorable terrain, that seems a little doubtful
> for direct VHF.
>
> I've done very little HF myself in the past decade, and I've never
> worked HF for local (relatively speaking) communications.  Can anyone
> suggest bands and equipment that would work well for this, assuming
> 300 baud AFSK is used?  Power consumption is a major concern.
>
> Thanks,

To operate this close-in on HF is going to require radiating nearly
straight up (i.e. NVIS - Near Vertical Incidence Skywave)   In turn,
this implies operating on 1.8 MHz (160M) or 3.6 MHz (80M). [The higher
bands won't reflect back to earth at high angles; they just head off
into space.]

Actually probably 5 Mhz ("60M") would probably be the ideal band, except
that we can only run USB voice on the five fixed channels in this band,
not data.  :(

NVIS is a relatively "lossy" mode meaning you have to run fair amounts
of power to achieve a reasonable S/N and data error rate. (The lower HF
spectrum tends to be noisy.)  This means typical full-power 100W HF/SSB
transceivers with reasonably efficient antennas. This would typically be
full-sized dipoles (130 ft end-to-end),  inverted-Vs or large horizontal
loops close to the ground (ideally 10-20 feet up), ideally over a
reflecting ground mat.   No 9-foot loaded mobile whips here!

The 100W out (approximately 200W DC in) transceivers wouldn't
necessarily  be a deal breaker, watt-hour-wise if you use short MIc-E
formatted bursts at an infrequent TX rate.

Note that optimal TNCs on HF are not just VHF modems running at 1/4 the
speed. Normally you want substantial audio conditioning and band-pass
filtering before the actual modem chip.  For the best results, you will
probably want to install 500-800 Hz bandwidth "CW" or "RTTY" IF filters
in the transceivers.

Further, for this kind of application (data operation at low S/N) the
digital signal processing IF and audio filtering found in recent HF
transceivers (that "de-noises" and "de-hisses" SSB voice operation) is
usually less desirable for data, than the classic passive IF crystal or
mechanical filtering (and analog audio filtering).    [The DSPs in
low-end ham gear tend to create phase jitter that mangles data.]

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map
  http://wa8lmf.net/APRSmaps