[aprssig] Embedded pcs as KPC3 replacement

Michael Conrad do5mc at friggleware.de
Fri Dec 7 05:24:32 EST 2007

Hi,

> Forget about the KPC-3.  Think instead what can be done with a real
> (embedded) PC.  USB Soundcards are $20.  TNC-X is $50.  We can build a
> complete dual port "modern" fully functional (programmable) server
> with packet and full audio for about the same price as a new KPC3.
another option could be some wireless router devices supported
by OpenWrt (www.openwrt.org). An embedded Linux is running on this
devices, a lot of software is already available (usb soundcard driver).
Some units provide 8 MB flash and 32 MB main memory, 2 usb ports and up to 4-5
ethernet ports. Power consuption is about 5-10 watt (depending on number and load of USB devices).

     Micha - DO5MC