[aprssig] Solar Powered Digi's.

John Ronan jronan at tssg.org
Tue Dec 4 14:17:19 EST 2007

On 4 Dec 2007, at 18:53, Phillip B. Pacier wrote:

> I had a solar powered digi up for five years (W7RBV-2).  I have
> since transferred ownership of the digi and it is no longer solar
> powered, but what what information are you looking for?

Typical "Rules of thumb" I guess for battery/panel sizing.

I was thinking of a OT2 and maybe a FT-1500 or some other dedicated
2m Radio.  The OT2 will also broadcast battery voltage as telemetry
for me.

Its not something we've done before.. so avoiding any 'gotchas' would
help.
Apparently, the 'average' Sun hours per day over here is about 3.75.
So I was going to go for a rough figure of TX'ing 20% of the time,
and try and size the battery so that it never gets discharged below
80% on that figure.  And then I guess, size the panel so that it
could recharge the battery from roughly 80% discharge on a 3.5 hour
day of sun.  Does that sound reasonable?

Regards

John