[aprssig] The Disposable WX station

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 1 08:08:10 EST 2007

Over the years, I've come to see the APRS community as being some of the most forward looking people in the hobby.  With that in mind, I wonder what you think about this...

The NWS has disposable upper air sensors (float 'em on a helium balloon and forget about 'em when they're done with their job).  Of course, their budget outstrips mine, but that got me to wonder...

If one wanted to duplicate the "disposable" philosophy within a _ground-based_ APRS WX station with the ability to telemeter wind speed/direction and air temp as a start, what components would be candidates for the WX sensor side of things (with the understanding that the instrument would possibly never be recovered)?

The use-case?  Hazmat or wild-fire perimeters.  That sort of thing.

Thoughts?

Ev Tupis, W2EV