[aprssig] 2 HOPS (3 ways)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Aug 29 12:54:29 EDT 2007

> I often need two hops for my packets to be seen just 25 miles
to the
> west and north of my home station in Frederick Maryland,

A two hop path is perfectly acceptible in this area.

So use WIDE2-2.  But a better 2 hop practice, so that you can
take advantage of any fill-in WIDE1-1 digi's is to use the dual
entry path of VIA WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1.  This also gives you 2 hops
but has the advantage of using a nearby fill-in WIDE1-1 if you
are near one.

This is the same as WIDE1-1,WIDE1-1.  But we do not ever want to
see a WIDE1-1 beyond the first hop, since it brings up all the
surrounding other home stations.  That is why we use
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1, since only the BIG digis support WIDE2-N.  And
we pre-decrement it down to WIDE2-1 so it only has one hop to go
after the first.

Bob, WB4APR