OT RE: [aprssig] Prius Battery Life and Replacement Cost (was: ControlHead Thieves)

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Tue Aug 28 17:37:51 EDT 2007

>From a well known US document about "whole life" energy costs relating to motor vehicles.   "Dust to dust" or some such title....   It included the cost and energy used to mine the raw materials, build and run the thing, then re-cycle it all at the end of it's life.

The most environmentaly friendly vehicle?  The Jeep Wrangler.  Just about all metal, few plastics, easy and low cost to re-cycle just about all the materials involved....

The worst?...  The Prius!!!   The materials in the batteries at that time (5 years ago, has anything changed?) make them virtualy imposible to re-cycle without creating a huge polution problem (directly, or indirectly).   That, and all the lightweight plastics in the car itself, also make it very costly (in economic and energy terms) to re-cycle.

"New technology" for new tec's sake perhaps.

Dave G0WBX