[aprssig] D700A - Defective GPS cable solved!

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Tue Aug 28 13:15:08 EDT 2007

On Aug 28, 2007, at 11:33 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

>> .. There [is] some kind of enamel coating
>> on the individual (hair-width) conductors...
>> [Fortunately it] melts at a temperature lower
>> than solder.

All this is IIRC: this is Litz type wire, and the correct procedure
is to use the appropriate solvent (I dontt remember what that is,
maybe MEK?) to strip the coating before soldering.  Since current is
carried by the outside of the conductor (skin effect), insulating the
strands gives a larger surface area, thereby allowing a bundle to
carry more current than the same size stranded or solid wire.

I personally just solder 'em long enough to burn the coating off,
too, but I think the solvent is the "correct" way to do it.

-Jason
kg4wsv