[aprssig] APRS - They don't get it (over on qrz.com)

Stephen - K1LNX k1lnx at k1lnx.net
Mon Aug 27 16:28:46 EDT 2007

Add this to the list of reasons why I never even waste my time of going to
these forums anymore. It seems like the mentality over there is just the
"good 'ol days" or it "should be this way because our way is better" I very
rarely read some decent postings there, and usually it is the same ones
stirring things up or actually helping people.

I can't believe the moronic responses I've read in there so far. One poster
claims APRS is packet radio stripped of it's most useful features, I don't
know about your respective areas, but here in East TN the only regular
packet activity I see on 145.010 is BBS messages being forwarded by one
sysop that no one reads anyhow, yet I get on 144.390 and I hear a constant
flurry of activity. I actually had a dedicated radio/tnc/linux box for
packet use and no one but myself was logging into it so it went the way of
the dinosaur. I ended up re-using the TNC/Radio as a fill-in digi instead,
much more usage.

APRS, for telemtry, situational awareness and so much more, I think this is
only the beginning.....

I think I'll quit reading this thread on QRZ for a while, my blood is
starting to boil.

Stephen
K1LNX

On 8/27/07, Scott Miller <scott at opentrac.org> wrote:

> Wow - APRS is 'crippled' packet and we'd be better off using the real
> thing?
>
> That's like saying UDP is crippled TCP, and all of those streaming video
> and VoIP applications would be better off using a proper
> connection-oriented protocol.
>
> What relevance would a point-to-point connection-oriented transport
> protocol have to a one-to-many short message broadcast mode?  Someone
> just doesn't get it.
>
> Scott
> N1VG
>
> Joseph M. Durnal wrote: