[aprssig] LM7805 and caps

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Sun Aug 26 16:49:29 EDT 2007

Yes, I think any linear regulator datasheet you look at will show
capacitors on both the input and output.  The input might be optional,
but I'm pretty sure the output capacitor is required for all of them.
For low-dropout regulators it's particularly critical and they can be
very unstable if you get a capacitor with the wrong ESR.

My understanding is that the capacitor is required to dampen the ripple
in the output voltage, and if you don't do that, the regulator will
constantly be oscillating, chasing its own tail sort of to try to
correct that error.

And aside from that, you should get in the habit of adding 0.1uF
capacitors as close to every digital IC's power input as possible.  As
the MCU's clock drives its internal workings, it'll draw varying amounts
of current.  Since the supply traces will always have a certain amount
of impedance, it'll cause a voltage drop on those traces, and introduce
noise into the supply that'll cause trouble with analog circuits especially.

So just drop a 0.1uF capacitor between the power input and ground on
each chip, and it'll have a local source to dampen out those peaks in
current draw.  They do the same thing on a larger scale in cars, with
big capacitors on the input to an amp so you don't dim your headlights
every time it hits a loud bass note.

Some chips will also have separate supplies for analog and digital
sections, plus maybe I/O drivers, CPU core, and so forth.  All of those
should be decoupled separately, through their own capacitors placed as
close as possible to the leads.

Scott
N1VG