[aprssig] HamHUD II New Firmware RELEASE

Steve Bragg steve at hamhud.net
Sat Aug 25 08:56:55 EDT 2007

HamHUDders and APRS Enthusiasts,

It's ready!  Version 2.8.000 Firmware for the HamHUD II Rev E kits has
been tested and is released at the HamHUD website (www.hamhud.net).

Get the zipfile here, which contains everything you need to upgrade
(including the Windows Loader program and release notes):

http://www.hamhud.net/hh2/HH2%2028000.zip

Release Notes here seperately:
http://www.hamhud.net/hh2/HamHUD%20II%20Firmware%20v2.8.000%20Release%20Notes.pdf

Major features of this upgrade:

* KISS TNC SUPPORT.  In fact, this version ONLY supports KISS TNCs (see
release notes, we do plan to bring back TAPR/Kantronics mode).  Low-cost
KISS TNCs such as the TNC-X (www.tnc-x.com), TinyTrak 4
(www.byonics.com), and OpenTracker+ (http://www.argentdata.com/catalog/)
have been tested to work well with this firmware version.  Your KPC-3+
works, too, in KISS mode!

* FRAM-BASED TX/RX BUFFERING.  No more missed packets, and no need for
handshaking (software or hardware).

* GPS WAYPOINT OUTPUT.   See APRS stations plotted on your GPS!  Outputs
the $GPWPL sentence for stations, objects, even HamHUD waypoints.
Selectable range circle, name truncation, and baud rate.

* "RUNS RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!"   HamHUD kits with previous firmware
versions had to be connected to a PC just to prepare the firmware for
operation.  No longer.  Build a HamHUD II kit, plug in a KISS TNC and
GPS, enter your callsign and icon using the WhizWheel interface, and you
are operating APRS mobile!  The default settings work fine in most APRS
networks, but are fully customizable from the front panel.

* WB4APR PROPORTIONAL PATHS WITH SMARTBEACONING.  Selectable direct path
for high-rate tracking.  Reduces digipeater QRM in dense networks, while
preserving the general shape of the track through "corner-pegging".

Read the release notes to learn about the new Graphical DigiMeter,
Day/Night/Stop brightness modes, display of packet/object comments, and
lots more!

Don't have a HamHUD yet?  Order one today:
http://www.hamhud.net/webstore.html.   They are so popular, we are
starting another kit build already!

73,

Steve Bragg KA9MVA
HamHUD Nichetronix

Home:  http://www.hamhud.net
APRS is a registered trademark of Bob Bruninga WB4APR.