[aprssig] Another kind of SmartBeaconing?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Aug 22 11:14:10 EDT 2007

> ... We have tried SmartBeaconing and fixed
> interval beacons. Neither one serves a glider
> particularly well. A glider... typically circles
> in a thermal... and then flies in a straight line
> .... What is needed, though is fast updating at
> the end of the track.

Proportional Pathing was designed for this kind of
high-rate-close-in, and lower-rates-at-longer-paths, but this
will not work for Gliders who have line-of-sight to everywhere,
and hops are usually not needed.

But applying this same algorithm to TX POWER would work.  That
is, a 30 second rate at 1 milliwatt, every other one at 10
milliwatts, every other one of those at 100 mw and every other
one of those at 1 watt.

You would get high tracking rates when the planes are close, but
minimum QRM for the less often-and-further away higher power
packets.

Bob, Wb4aPR