[aprssig] APRS balloon aloft now - Microtrak working great!

Robert Rochte rochte at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 10:22:24 EDT 2007

Our latex-towed solar Montgolfiere is aloft now...  We have decided to name
this balloon "Soli Deo Gloria 7" - or SDG-7 - even though it is not a
superpressure like the rest of the SDG series.

Balloon is carrying a Microtrak-300, Geko 201 and two 9v lithium batteries -
callsign-ssid is KC8UCH-11.  Updates will be posted to
http://arhab.blogspot.com later today.

Prediction shows the balloon flying to the east-south-east, over Lake Erie,
then the latex should burst.  At this point, the solar should inflate and
reach float around 70k feet (very rough estimate at this point) and return
to the west.

Note:  The ascent rate is very low due to a lack of gas in the latex (we ran
out), so things might not work *quite* as planned....

-R