[aprssig] Waypoints to GPS Receiver: Navigation

gerheim at cox.net gerheim at cox.net
Wed Aug 22 09:24:26 EDT 2007

I finally have a GPS receiver that _receives_ NMEA data. A little experimentation has shown that the GPS receiver (GPSmap 60) attempts to uniquely name each waypoint it receives, even if they come from the same station/SSID.

For example, waypoints from WA1XYZ-15 may be named "WA1XYZ 151", "WA1XYZ 154", etc...

This leaves about 3 questions:
1) Is there a way to navigate to a "moving target"?  If I navigate to "WA1XYZ 151", it'll keep sending me to where WA1XYZ _was_ when that waypoint was sent.

2) Is there any rhyme or reason behind the naming convention?  I couldn't figure any out.  The characters it appended seemed to be random.
2a) How many unique names can it associate with the same call/SSID? My guess is that it'll repeat or jam up before it runs through the complete set of valid characters.

3)  Is there a way to identify the most recently-received waypoint?

--
-Al Gerheim

HP-49G+ Software Page:
http://members.cox.net/above