UK OS Maps for APRS? Was RE: [aprssig] KNOPPIX and XASTIR

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Tue Aug 21 04:46:00 EDT 2007

Hi Jason...

If the UKOS would allow us to use their raster maps in any application,
that would be wonderful, I'd even pay a fee for it...!

But, the way it works here, is any such application has to be licenced
by the OS to use their data, and part of that process is that it must
not allow any part of the map data to be exportable in a "usable by
third party" way.

I have a fully licenced copy of Anquet Maps, that I can plot GPS tracks
with, navigate, and add my own scribblings, but it in no way can be used
by an external program as a source of underlay or map imagery (I have
done screen captures, but the OS grid is not alligned with Lat/Long, so
for anything other than very close in local work, it's not a lot of use)
nor allow any other application to place multiple markers on the map.
(I did manage to get UiView to put a single mark on the map, but said
marker moved about with each and every posit received.)

Memory Map, the UK version, uses escentialy the same data, but the files
used are a different format, so you are tied in to the one supplier, you
can't just go and download a new updated version of the map data.  US
versions of that software might have some external control options, but
the UK versions certainly don't!

Anquet get close, with their online MapServer application, but again
that's proprietry, and fees need paying again.

It's a restriction placed on us by the OS (a psuedo government
organisation)

73.

Dave G0WBX.

.