[aprssig] whatever happened to....

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Aug 20 12:59:38 EDT 2007

> What applications actually display stations using position
ambiguity
> with said stations "spread out", I assume with some random
offset
> thrown in?

The display intent of ambiguity was:

1) display an ambiguity circle indicating the degree of
ambiguity (at zooom scales below which the original SYMBOL would
become smaller than the ambiguity..)
2) randomize the center of the circle within the scale of
ambiguity so that multiple objects and callsigns at the same
ambiguous position would not all stack on top of each other.
3) When you zoom in below the scale of ambiguity, the symbols
disappear so as not to imply positions that are more accurate
than the ambiguity.  This is where the random placement of the
callsigns works best.

That's how APRSdos does it...

> I'm pretty sure the D7/D700 don't...

No, but then most of what D7 and D700 users see is the range and
direction to the other stations, and they are still listed
separately in the lists, so thre is no confusion (ah, but on an
attached map display, I bet they would all superimpose...)..

Bob, Wb4APR