[aprssig] "Best" Mobile APRS Radio & TNC

Ralph Milnes ralphmilnes at patmedia.net
Mon Aug 20 11:56:34 EDT 2007

I recently had the control head of my Kenwood D700 stolen from my car; the
main unit was left behind. (Some advice: Don't leave your car unlocked! Ham
radio control heads look like GPS or Satellite Radio units to thieves.)

So I need a replacement setup for my D700. I think I have several choices,
so I'm looking for opinions:

1. Find a replacement D700 control head, but that's not likely.
2. Get a new or used D700
3. Get a new TM-D710 when they come out
4. Get a non-TNC radio and a separate TNC, such as the Tiny Tracker or
OpenTracker.

Money isn't really an issue -- I'm willing to pay for a new D710.

(For a GPS, I'd probably continue using my Garmin GPS 18.)

What would you do?

73

Ralph KC2RLM