[aprssig] D710 GPS Port

Drew Baxter droobie at maine.rr.com
Tue Aug 14 12:23:58 EDT 2007

Cost and proprietary infrastructure are two killers (for me at least)
when it comes to D-Star. The likelihood of D-Star ever coming to the
State of Maine in any capacity is probably extremely slim.  I'd say
this is probably the case in various other parts of the rural
countryside too.  APRS works because it requires relatively cheap
hardware to implement, mostly rigs, computers, TNCs we already
demoted or already have in service.

However, a lot of our APRS infrastructure seems to have vanished
too.  It used to be I had near continuous coverage in this region,
but nowadays there's a lot of dead zones.  I know it isn't anything
to do with my rig since my neighbor has the same problem.  Could be a
path issue though.

--Droo, K1XVM