[aprssig] Re: OT: D-710 at FCC test site

Mark Fellhauer sparkfel at qwest.net
Tue Aug 14 02:12:04 EDT 2007

At 09:47 PM 8/13/2007, Richard N. Piper IV wrote:
>Greetings this is KC0RNP,
>
>I just wanted to say that not all Cell Phones in the US are on GSM. I have
>a Altell phone and it is on CDMA. For what it's worth CDMA uses less tower
>sites, yep I have look up info on this. Thus, all you ATT (Cingular) folks
>will see more tower site, and thus the reason why ATT is always putting up
>new towers.

I think you'll find GSM coverage in the U.S. outside of major metropolitan
areas is sparse, especially west of the Mississippi River.   Your GSM phone
isn't gonna work at Mt. Rushmore, unless it's a satellite phone.  GSM
phones don't work at my brother's house in Temecula (where the heck-u-la),
CA.

A cool thing about my Verizon phone is you can turn on GPSOne and dial 922
to get your Lat/Lon.  Scroll down on the page for a Lat/Lon of the cell
tower you are connected to.   It is VERY accurate.

>Is CDMA better then GSM? I don't have the answer to this but I do know
>that some internet reports say that ATT (Cingular) was going to go with
>CDMA and not GSM.

I think around here (San Diego), the people at Qualcomm would tell you that
CDMA is a better technology.   Having looked at the respective white
papers, I'd be inclined to agree.  Although the way things are going it may
be hard to find a new CDMA phone for a while...

Mark
KC7BXS