[aprssig] Re: WiFi for tracking ?

Mark Fellhauer sparkfel at qwest.net
Tue Aug 14 01:54:28 EDT 2007

At 05:17 PM 8/13/2007, Stephen H. Smith wrote:
>Andrew Rich wrote:
>>Has anyone got a PDA, a GPS and some code ande sent back there positon
>>using wifi ?
>>
>>2.4 GHz stuff is cheap enough.
>>
>>Andrew Rich VK4TEC
>
>And what would the point of this be?   Given the range of typical WiFi
>gear, you could probably SEE the location of the other station.

Actually this has been demonstrated on a few large college
campuses.  Having attended Arizona State University, I can attest you
cannot see from one side of the main campus to the other...

By using triangulation methods, a person can be located to within about 60
feet, using common access points.  Several methods have been devised and a
few fielded.  There is also a system I've read about that's more of a
proximity sensor.

Mark
KC7BXS