OT: RE: [aprssig] D-710 at FCC test site

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Tue Aug 7 16:27:41 EDT 2007

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, Floyd Rodgers wrote:

> all this logic has me wondering... If fcc requires non modifiable gear
> (they do), How in the world will software defined radios ever get into
> type acceptance and thus production?

The FCC requires non-modifiable radios in part 15 devices, not part 97
devices.  Amateurs are actually encouraged to experiment on their bands.
The restrictions are to prevent amateur gear from being re-purposed to
nefarious ends.
   This also rears its ugly head with the SDR's in modern Wifi cards, where
the 'no user-modifiable parts inside' rule prevents the manufacturers from
releasing full source code to their drivers and firmware.

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin