OT: RE: [aprssig] D-710 at FCC test site

Mark Fellhauer sparkfel at qwest.net
Tue Aug 7 05:31:12 EDT 2007

At 01:42 AM 8/7/2007, Stephen H. Smith wrote:
>Dave Baxter wrote:
>>Hi...
>>
>>Does this imply that in the US, many celular phones still use analog FM
>>for the audio?
>>
>>I thought (wrongly it would seem?) that 99.9% of the developed world had
>>long since changed over to GSM (digital) for mobile phones, I know both
>>my GSM phones work OK in the US,
>
>The U.S. mobile telecomm scene is a totally chaotic mis-mash of
>proprietary and semi-proprietary standards, both for private radio
>land-mobile and for cellular telephony, due to the total failure of the
>federal comms authorities to set any standards.

And, that, IMHO, is a good thing.  Local, State, and Federal governments in
the U.S. have shown they are totally incapable of proper stewardship in
most matters, especially on the technology front.    The average age in
Congress today is the oldest ever at 60.4 years.  Do I let my 60-something
parents make technological decisions for me?     Have you ever heard Maxine
Waters or Cynthia McKinney (now out of Congress) speak in public?   These
people are not only brain addled - they're insane!

73,

Mark
KC7BXS