[aprssig] Re: D-710 at FCC test site

Drew Baxter droobie at maine.rr.com
Tue Aug 7 00:04:43 EDT 2007

Vehicles from 2002 and back are analog only and can't be
upgraded.  Those customers are... as we say.. SOL.

Some 2002 and up vehicles are either Digital Ready (upgrade capable)
and 2004+ are Digital Ready or often Dual Mode (do digital CDMA and
analog).  Those people are ok.  Either they can upgrade or they'll be
fine as they are.

http://www.mobiletracker.net/archives/2006/11/21/onstar-analog-digital

>GM didn't even start upgrading its vehicles to digital
>communications until at least 2002. Some vehicles made as recently
>as 2004 feature analog technology. OnStar has posted a
><http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/popup/adt.jsp>statement about
>the problem on their website, with an FAQ detailing possible upgrade
>paths. Vehicles made before 2002 can't be upgraded.

If memory serves Onstar was vocal about getting the transition
delayed a few times because of this.  However, we can't wait forever
just because some company depends on the platform.  It's not like the
plan to disable the analog network is new news.

--Droo, K1XVM